Saturday 7 January 2012

Not Really Marine Equipment, But Useful On A Small Sailboat Post #3

Ice Fishing Rod


Ice fishing rod?  Yes, but not for ice fishing (not for me anyways).  I bought this several years ago with the idea that the boys could use it to try a little jigging for shinners and such while at anchor or from the dock.  It is made in Finland and though simple in design, quite well made.  The mini rod length would be easier to stow and should allow for fewer jabbing accidents amongst the  crew.
The fishing thing never took off but what I did was to attach a lead ball weight to the line and it has become a very handy depth sounder.  I just release the drag until the weight touches down and two cranks of the reel pulls in almost exactly one metre of line.  Count the cranks and divide by two.  Guess I always have the option of dropping a hook...

No comments:

Post a Comment