Saturday 10 March 2012

Gaff Business

I did not 100% followed the original Phil Bolger drawings when I built Bluster.  Most of the deviations involved raising and widening the cabin, changing the stern cut away and adding a mast tabernacle.  In hind sight, all good ideas.  One item I considered changing but did not is the straight style gaff horns (fork?).


The straight ones are easier to build but do not work as well or look as "gaffy" as the curved style.  This retrofit was on my to do list for this year.  


I started by cutting away the straight horns but leaving the base, where the one piece original horns were attached to the gaff.  





The new horns were cut out of 3/4" plywood and glued into place.







Epoxy sealing and a couple of coats of Interlux Brightside Polyurathane White.
Job done. Tick.















In place, working fine and looking good

No comments:

Post a Comment