Wednesday 3 July 2013

Canada Day Weekend With Friends

With nothing particular on the books for the Canada Day (July 1st) weekend I decided to get out on a little over nighter and and I put the word out to my small circle of sailing acquaintances for a possible meetup.  Most had plans but Curtis and his son Ben were keen so we decided to meet at Halkett Bay on Gambier Island as this is kind of between my launch at Gibsons Landing (closer)and Burnaby (much further) where Curtis keeps his Siren 17.   Comparatively my route was really straight forwards whereas Curtis and Ben had two significant tidal narrows, busy Vancouver harbour and the unpredictable Point Ackinson.

I was on the water by 8:30 a.m. after launching at Gibsons Marina.  The winds were light to nonexistent so I  employed combinations of sailing, motoring and motorsailing.

A beautiful morning to head out

With no big rush to get there I popped in to Centre Bay to check out the retired Canadian Armed Forces frigate that is being prepared to sinking by the artificial reef society.

Still above water

Upon entering the Halkett Bay Marine Park anchorage I spotted the characteristic Nonsuch 26 belonging to Mark and Nessa whom Lisa and I met in Gibsons Marina two years ago.  They very kindly invited me aboard for refreshments in their comfy covered cockpit.

I've seen this boat before...

Afterwards I picked my spot and dropped anchor then set up my rather unsophisticated Cockpit Cover 1.0 to get out of the sun.  Reading and a little nap followed.

Sun shade

Late in the afternoon Curtis and Ben arrived and they rafted up with Bluster for the night before we all set about making  dinner.

Neighbours arrive

Dinner

Later on Mark picked us all up in his inflatable for a lovely evening aboard their boat.  We counted twenty eight boat at anchor which is a fair cry from my last visit here when there was just a hand full.

Taxi

Early to bed and the morning Curtis and Ben headed over to the dinghy dock to do a walk about behead heading home while raised anchor and did a few lapse around the bay taking photos.

Morning


Siren at the dinghy dock

Bon journey!

Even though the previous night was fairly windy it was mostly calm for my motor back to Gibsons Landing where I picked up Lisa for a little spin into the Salish Sea before back to the busy ramp and the haul out.

Mate

A great holiday weekend and extra great to share it with some friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment