Monday 6 August 2012

Iron Wind - Honda 5 hp Outboard

I love my 5 hp BF5 Honda outboard motor.  After ten years of yeoman service this engine has never let me down and fires up on the first or second pull even after sitting for months.  As a lad my brother and I fiddled around with the family collection of ancient and balky 2 stroke Evinrude outboards.  Based on these early experiences I decided during my boat build that if I ever completed the thing I would reward myself with a new four stroke engine.

Shiny and new

The outboard was in fact purchased during the build and I modified the transom to fit it.  This motor comes in  either a regular or long shaft version and I opted for the regular one as the leg, when in the run position, was no deeper than the shoal rudder on the Chebacco.  My thinking for this was that tucked up like this the expensive engine would not be the first part of the boat at the scene of a grounding.  I was concerned that the prop may not be deep enough for maximum efficiency but this has not been the case.  The downside of this is when in reverse the wash is directed onto the rudder and a firm hand is required to keep tiller from slamming over.


Clamped on like it belongs there

The Honda is very miserly in the fuel consumption department and is nice and quiet as well.  One criteria I felt important for the outboard was a remote fuel tank.  I know from experience the limited integrated tank capacity can let you down just when  it is needed if not carefully monitored.  The well between the cockpit and transom I designed to fit two of the 12.5 litre (3 gal) remote tanks.  In practise I only carry one.

The prop was replaced with one more suited to pushing a displacement hull resulting in a half knot speed improvement.  Half throttle pushes Bluster along easily at five knots and opening  it all the way only grain another half knot or so so I rarely go there.

If I realistically looked back on the time spent on the water since launching Bluster back in 2002 as memorable as the sailing times were, we probably spent as much or more time motoring.  Investing in a good outboard, for me, was money well spent.


No wind, no problem






No comments:

Post a Comment