Wednesday 19 April 2017

Time To Say Goodbye

Over the past couple of years I have found myself sailing less as my limited leisure time has been taken up by other interests.  The result of this is that Bluster languished under her tarp, unused and unappreciated.

Last fall I made the tough decision to sell Bluster.  In March I posted her on the classified ads of the Small Craft Adviser magazine and the Port Townsend Pocket Yachter web site.  I had numerous inquiries.  

Todd from Portland was particularly interested and after some email information exchanges we agreed on a price and pick up date. Todd has an interest in small wooden boats and was quite familiar with the Chebacco.  He sounded like a handy guy and keen on the maintenance and modifications that goes with this sort of project boat.  He has a young family and he envisions fun times on the water with them.  Todd reminded me a little of the younger me.  He picked her up on April 15th.
 
I am thrilled to think that Bluster is off to a new second life with Todd and his family!


6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh[ endless screaming] i've been looking for a Chebacco [or similar design suitable for gunk holing on the coast] for a few years now[ been in touch with Jamie in Victoria who may sell his ] My bad luck. If u hear rumours of another Chebacco[ or similar camp cruiser of 20+] for sale i'd appreciate a buzz. Thx ken akcunningham @yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. For some reason this segment of the boating world is under represented. Jamie did say he was considering selling Wayward Lass so you certainly could not go wrong with that boat.

    I used Pocket Yachters boats for sale to sell Bluster:

    http://pocketyachters.com/Port_Townsend_Pocket_Yachters/Boats_For_Sale.html

    Also the classified section of the Small Craft Advisor.

    Good luck with your search!

    Cheers,Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. End of an era Randy, my chebacco Yaviza sits for most of the year also as I have sold my lake property. I managed only 2 sails in Bellingham last year. I look at the boat and all I see is the beauty so it will be hard for me to sell her but the time may come
    Cal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Cal it is the end of an era. We had many good family and friends times with Bluster and felt this boat was a part of me. A time for everything as they say. I am very happy that she is going to a new enthusiastic owner with a young family and bring joy and memories to them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy,
    your contributions to the Chebacco community is probably more than you realise. For one thing you have 2300 views on your 1 minute youtube video of sailing Bluster. Your notes here and you contributions to chebacco.com have been much appreciated.
    So you are not only passing on a boat but also the enthusiasm for sailing her and boats like her. Thanks.
    I hope Todd writes a story or two and shares them with us too. Get him to write to me.
    andrew@chebacco.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words Andrew. I have always enjoyed the community aspect of our little world - sharing and following other sailors and builders adventures.
    Back in the mid 1990s when I started my build I was on the mailing list for the original Chebacco News. I would look forward to receiving these in the post and I even have some hand written letters from Phil Bolger himself. Thank you for keeping this going in its recent incarnation. I will continue to follow all things Chebacco.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete